Music and the Fictive Dream

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSg1hCI_y2E&list=PLBXBmZcJbX0wcsPxZWZGGw7M_g-VMvmLI&index=2

For this blog post, I will be focusing on the song "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King. It was composed by Tim Rice and Elton John in 1994 in America. Featuring Laura Williams, Rowan Atkinson & Jason Weaver. 

In the 1992 draft of The Lion King, it did not include the song "I Just Can't Wait to Be King". Instead, Mufasa sang a song titled "To Be King". By the time the 1993 draft was finished, that was cut and replaced with "I Just Can't Wait to be King". It is the second song in the soundtrack for this movie. 

This song shows when Simba, Nala, and Zazu are on their way to the watering hole. Zazu talks about how in the future Simba and Nala will be together, Simba then insists that he would abolish that tradition and still be able to be a mighty king. In the song, Simba talks about how he can't wait to be king, and Zazu is trying to tell him to be patient but Simba won't listen. I think that this is trying to show the audience that patience is very important and that things will happen in time and there is no point in rushing them as they will happen eventually anyway. 

This song is very upbeat, and I think the way that Simba and Zazu switch off really pairs well together, and I think it helps pull the song together. It's a very catchy song. 

I personally love this song, and it's one of my favorites from the movie. I think that it fits so perfectly in with the movie, and the placement of the song was immaculate. I definitely think that it's one of the best songs from the movie.


Sources

Contributors to The Lion King Wiki. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King.” The Lion King Wiki, Fandom, Inc., lionking.fandom.com/wiki/I_Just_Can%27t_Wait_to_Be_King#:~:text=%22I%20Just%20Can’t%20Wait%20to%20Be%20King%22%20was,of%20the%20original%20cast%20recording. Accessed 10 Apr. 2024. 

Wiki, Contributors to Disney. “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King.” Disney Wiki, Fandom, Inc., disney.fandom.com/wiki/I_Just_Can%27t_Wait_to_Be_King. Accessed 10 Apr. 2024. 

Comments

  1. I did not know that Elton John was involved in the music from The Lion King. After reading your blog, I went to do some research as well and discovered that he also composed “Circle of Life,” “Be Prepared,” “Hakuna Matata,” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight,” which won an Oscar for Best Original Song. It's a fun and emotional soundtrack; I bet we all drove our parents crazy singing those songs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis 2

Introduction Blog