Musical Trip

 For this blog, I will be going over Mariachi music.




For my first song, I chose the song Guadalajara performed by Mariachi Sol De Mexico. You can listen to it here. This song was originally written and composed by Pepe Guízar in 1937. 



For my second song, I chose Cielito Lindo performed by Mariachi Nuevo Jalisco. You can listen to it here. It was originally composed by Quirino Mendoza y Cortés in 1882. 


Mariachi music is a Mexican musical ensemble composed of a variety of mostly stringed instruments. It first came to life in the late 1700s to early 1800s in west-central Mexico. The main instruments in Mariachi are a vihuela, the guitarrón, a standard six-string acoustic guitar; and violins and trumpets. Both of these songs are very appealing to listen to and have a very nice sound to them. My boyfriend's father is in a Mariachi band and plays the guitarrón. It's always so fun to listen to him practice. I have not been able to watch him play with his band, as he travels to Hawaii to play with them, but I have watched videos and it's really an amazing piece of music to listen to. Mariachi overall has a very bright and thick timbre and easily resonates when all the instruments are playing together. Mariachi tends to have a louder dynamic, as the music is high energy and upbeat, and is meant to be played at dances and festivals. Most Mariachi music is homophonic, although there is some simple polyphony here and there. I really love music like this, and it can help boost my spirits when I'm feeling kind of down. I would recommend Mariachi music to anyone who would be willing to listen.  



“Mariachi.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, inc., 27 Feb. 2024, www.britannica.com/art/mariachi

“Mariachi.” Kaitlin Bove Music, kaitlinbove.com/mariachi. Accessed 20 Mar. 2024. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Analysis 2

Introduction Blog

Music and the Fictive Dream